Services Firms: 5 Simple Truths
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. George S. Patton
During my 18 years working at two tech consultancies and a management consulting organization, five simple truths consistently led to team success.
- Empower People. Employ people in accordance with their capabilities and give them the needed authority to act. Delegation is a key to achieving scale and teams of successful and capable people will surprise you with how much they can accomplish.
- Make Decisions. Be decisive and the friend of initiative and drive. You can always make a different decision downstream, but make the hard call, even if you are making 90% decisions based on near complete information.
- Embrace Urgency. Have a sense and need to get things done to catalyze the organization forward. Accomplishment needs to be measured by diligence, but avoiding analysis paralysis is key to completing the mission.
- Employ Governance. Implement the right degree of process and rules to align execution with goals and objectives. The proper amount of structure and rigor helps sail the ship in the forward direction.
- Mandate Efficiency. Inspire a culture that focuses on progress through accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities. Make frictionless communications and a positive, "can do" working style part of a respected value system shared by all employees.
As I focus on the growth and development of my next endeavor EQengineered, the lessons learned will be fully adopted as standards by which to effectively organize, operate, manage and achieve results.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it. - Alan Kay